Valerie Adams will compete for the first time in seven months when she lines up at the Auckland Track Challenge next week.
The Olympic champion was well below her best last year, resulting in her missing the World Champs.
"So far so good. I'm throwing normally, lifting normally -- things are finally back to normal," she says.
Adams has come a long way since last year, when she had to cut her season short after failing to recover from nerve surgery to the elbow of her throwing arm.
The elbow operation is one of five surgeries the double-Olympic champion has had in the past 3 years.
And the 31-year-old says she's now more realistic about what she can expect from her body.
"I'm a lot more tentative to
how my body is, a lot more tentative to my age," she says. "It does take
a lot longer to warm up [and] a lot longer to recover, and my team has
come together to protect me when it comes to that.
"One thing I do want to do is to be able to lift my kids up and my grandkids up later on in life."
Defending her Olympic title in Rio remains the sole focus for Adams.
She'll begin that journey when she returns to competition next week at the Auckland Track Challenge.
"I'm
edging on 90 percent," Adams says. "By the time Rio comes along I'm
going to be a 100 percent screaming and rocking on all four cylinders."
Now the only thing Adams is looking forward to breaking is maybe a few records.
Newshub.
Post a Comment