Warriors stalwart Simon Mannering said extra commitments wore him down during his six years as Warriors captain.
The 29-year-old announced he was stepping down as captain today, saying he had lost enjoyment for the game.
"It's been a hard couple of seasons performance-wise but in all honesty it's probably not the playing side of it, it's probably just the extra commitment outside of football that wore me down a bit," Mannering said.
"It probably did affect [my
game] in some way. I'm hoping that it freshens me up a bit, less
commitment outside of footy, more time with my family and hopefully a
bit more enjoyment around here and we can get results."
Mannering said captaincy wouldn't have been an issue if it didn't involve the "extra stuff" in Australia and New Zealand.
"If I could just lead the team out each week I would keep the role for sure but that's not the case."
Watch the video for the interview with Simon Mannering.
Newshub.
Post a Comment