Day uses silky short game to frustrate McIlroy

Jason Day said his game plan was to use his stellar short game to frustrate Rory McIlroy in their semi-final at the WGC-Dell Match Play on Sunday.

REUTERS: Jason Day said his game plan was to use his stellar short game to frustrate Rory McIlroy in their semi-final at the WGC-Dell Match Play on Sunday.
Day, who was already assured of regaining the world number one ranking from American Jordan Spieth, beat South African Louis Oosthuizen 5&4 in the final on Sunday afternoon after seeing off McIlroy one-up at Austin Country Club.
While Day is one of the longest hitters on the PGA Tour, he also possesses a sublime short game and used it to great effect against the Northern Irishman.
"Against Rory, all I wanted to do, if I didn’t hit it as good as him, (was) not to worry about it," the Australian said.
"I was just going to frustrate him with my short game. If I missed the green, get up-and-down, if I hit to 20 feet or 30 feet, hole the putt. That was my main goal."
Day accomplished his mission at the final hole, where he got up-and-down by sinking a 12-foot putt to eliminate McIlroy, who went on to lose 3&2 to Spaniard Rafa Cabrera-Bello in the playoff for third place.
"I feel like I played pretty well, good enough to win," McIlroy said. "Today I just didn’t hole the putts I needed to and Jason wasn’t giving me anything either ... I think that just shows how well Jason is playing at the minute."
(Reporting by Andrew Both in Cary, North Carolina; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Post a Comment

[disqus][blogger][facebook]

Geezwild

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.
Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget