Flight MH370 Update: Stenciled Codes On Mozambique Debris Unique To Malaysia Airlines, Report Says
A candle burns a prayer message for passengers of missing Malaysia
Airlines Flight MH370 in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, March 8, 2016.
Photo: Getty Images/MOHD RASFAN/AFP
Stenciled codes on two debris pieces found along the coast of the
southeast African nation of Mozambique "almost certainly" prove they
originated from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, the Australian
Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), which is leading the search for the
plane, said in a report Tuesday. Over the last few months, four pieces
of debris possibly from the missing plane have been recovered, including
one each from South Africa and Mauritius.
The two items from Mozambique, which were found on Dec. 27, 2015, and
Feb. 27, 2016, were sent to Australia for examination at the request of
the Malaysian government. ATSB said Tuesday that one of the pieces
— found in Mozambique in late December by a South African teenager
holidaying with his family — is a "segment from a Boeing 777 flap track
fairing." The second piece — found in late February by U.S. blogger and
lawyer Blaine Gibs — is "a segment of a Boeing 777 RH horizontal
stabilizer panel."
Investigators revealed that the stenciling of the code “676EB” and
the words “NO STEP” on the debris provided almost irrefutable evidence
that the parts were from the missing Boeing 777.
Flap fairing outer surface showing stencil location and comparison.
Photo: Australian Transport Safety Bureau
"The 676EB stencil font and color was not original from
manufacture, but instead conformed to that developed and used by MAB
during painting operations," investigators said in the report. The stenciling of "NO STEP" was also "consistent with that developed and used by Malaysian Airlines."
Stabiliser panel “NO STEP” stencil and fastener comparison.
Photo: Australian Transport Safety Bureau
The two debris pieces will be sent to Malaysia this week for further examination, ATSB said in the report.
Australian authorities also said that two other items — the
South Africa piece with the Rolls Royce logo and the piece found on the
Rodrigues Island in Mauritius — were brought to ATSB laboratories last week.
"Investigators from the ATSB and the Malaysian authorities
are currently examining those two pieces for details which would serve
to identify them as coming from a Boeing 777, and in particular for any
details which might serve to link the debris as coming from MH370,"
authorities said.
The ongoing search for Flight MH370 — which went missing on
March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board while on its way from Kuala
Lumpur to Beijing — has not yielded any concrete clues about what
happened to the jet.
The underwater search in a remote part of the southern
Indian Ocean has cost nearly $70 million, with four vessels still
scouring the ocean floor to find the plane wreckage. The search
operation, which has been headed by Australia, is expected to be called
off in June.
Post a Comment