Sheila E. is opening up about the time she spent with the late icon, Prince.
ET's Nischelle Turner caught up with the
58-year-old "A Love Bizarre" singer in Chanhassen, Minnesota, where she
gave insight into the notoriously private artist. Sheila E. and Prince
famously collaborated together on one another's hits, and were once engaged.
Sheila E. says that Prince definitely suffered pain from years of performing, and did have problems with his hip.
"I mean, you think about all the years he was
jumping off those risers," she recalls. "They were not low -- they were
very, very high -- and to jump off that ... First of all, the Purple Rain
tour and the way that they were stacked, he had those heels on. We did a
year of touring [and] for him to jump off of that -- just an entire
year would have messed up his knees."
"He was in pain all the time, but he was a performer," she adds.
A source very close to the situation tells ET that
Prince had the flu that turned into walking pneumonia before his death,
and he was also dealing with a hip injury and had a problem with the
pain killer, Percocet. The source says his issue with the powerful
narcotic went back years, beginning shortly after he had hip replacement
surgery in 2010.
Clearly, Sheila E. is devastated by Prince's
death. When asked if she's thought about how she's going to say goodbye
to her close friend, she replied, "I don't know if I can."
"My emotions, you know, I'm trying not to process
it," she admits. "I'm trying to ignore the fact it is true, and I'm not
looking at television. I can’t see his face on television. It's just
surreal, and it makes it reality when I see it."
Sheila E. and Prince met in 1978, and while she
says there was an immediate friendship between the two, there wasn't an
instant attraction.
"It just kind of gradually happened, it wasn't
forced," she says about how their relationship turned romantic. "We just
like a lot of the same things, and then things we didn't agree on were
good things we were glad we didn't agree on."
"We were both very competitive and always tried to
outdo each other -- with everything from clothes to playing ping pong
and basketball and pool, who could stay up the longest and record and, I
mean, there's just a lot of crazy moments," she also recalls. "This was
38 years of stuff with him."
Sheila E. calls the singer "very kind and gentle."
"I fell in love with his music, and then watching him perform onstage ... forget about it, it was over," she smiles.
As for Prince's spiritual beliefs, Sheila E. says
that they changed over the years. The "Raspberry Beret" singer was
raised a Seventh-day Adventist and later became a Jehovah's Witness.
"When we were friends, his beliefs were different
than what they are now, and that's part of change -- part of growing,
part of searching and trying to find out," Sheila E. reflects. "Did he
find his purpose, you know, what does he believe in or what does he not
believe in? He went through all of that."
But most of all, she remembers Prince's incredible work ethic, and his drive to always be better.
"He did his homework. He created, he rehearsed, he
practiced, he always gave it his all, 150 percent every time," she
stresses. "He expanded and continued to move forward. He never stayed in
the same place musically. It was limitless, the things that he could
write and create."
And he was never afraid to be innovative.
"He said, 'I'm thinking outside the box -- I'm
gonna do what no one else has done and everyone would like to do, that a
lot of people can't comprehend,'" she says. “Some people don't like
change and he was able to do and be whoever he wanted to be."
Prince's autopsy was completed on Friday. He reportedly suffered a drug overdose
just a week before his death, according to TMZ, when a private jet
carrying the singer was forced to make an emergency landing in Moline,
Illinois.
Post a Comment