A Vietnamese coast guard officer taking pictures of a Chinese coast
guard vessel near China's oil drilling rig in disputed waters in the
South China Sea, May 14, 2014.
Photo: Getty Images/AFP/HOANG DINH NAM
China and Russia said Monday that the South China Sea
dispute should not be internationalized and called for its settlement
based on negotiation and consultation, Beijing’s official Xinhua News
reported. The comments come at time when the United States has beefed up
its military presence in the contested region in a bid to help the
Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries tackle China’s
assertiveness.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and his Russian counterpart
Sergey Lavrov made the comments during a meeting on Monday. Wang
insisted that China was protecting its rights and interests in South
China Sea, and was free to choose how to resolve tensions in the area, Xinhua
reported. The world’s second largest economy’s refusal of the
Philippines’ proposed international arbitration case over the matter was
meant to uphold the dignity and authority of the law, Wang said, adding
that China and Russia should be cautious against abuses of mandatory
arbitration.
Meanwhile, Hugo Swire, the British minister of state
responsible for East Asia, said earlier in the day that a ruling —
expected in May or early June — in the Philippines’ international
arbitration case against China's South China Sea claims must be binding.
“We make it clear to the Chinese that we can only do these
kinds of deals in an open and transparent way under an international
rules-based system,” Swire told Washington's Center for Strategic and
International Studies think tank, according to Reuters.
“Under the international rules-based system on which the
world depends, we would expect the ruling from The Hague to be adhered
to by all parties concerned, whichever way it goes and we would stand by
others, including the United States, whichever way that ruling goes,”
Swire added.
The South China Sea has been long debated,
with Beijing laying claims to most of the region. Apart from China,
Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam have also laid
claims to the waters. Beijing has been expanding its presence in the
disputed region and has built three runways on the Spratly archipelago.
China has consistently defended its actions, saying it does not have any
intentions of starting a conflict and that its aircraft facilities will
maintain safety in the region.
On Sunday, a Chinese military aircraft
made the first public landing on the Fiery Cross Reef of the South
China Sea. China’s official People’s Liberation Army Daily said that the
aircraft was sent by the navy after receiving an emergency call from
the construction site on the reef. However, the move attracted a
protest from the U.S. military Monday.“We’re aware that a Chinese military aircraft landed at Fiery Cross Reef on Sunday in what China described as a humanitarian operation to evacuate three ill workers,” Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis told CNN. “It is unclear why the Chinese used a military aircraft, as opposed to a civilian one.”
The Philippines and the U.S. conducted joint patrols in the South China Sea. The Pentagon will reportedly deploy six aircraft and three helicopters with 200 pilots and crew members at the former Clark Air Base, north of Manila. The aircraft fleet includes five Warthog ground-attack planes, three search-and-rescue helicopters and a plane regularly in use to transport Special Operations forces.
Post a Comment